[MEncoder-users] Comparison of Audio codecs for DVD src

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Mon Oct 27 12:42:19 CET 2008

Hi

I am in the process of coping my dvd's to hd (to play on my mini mac with  plex on it).

I have decided on x264 for the video codec, but I am wondering what to
use for the audio. I have started with Xmen 1.5 & 2. Both dvd's have DTS
& AC3 and stereo.  I have started my tests with -oac copy of the dts and
comparing it to a faac of the DTS source.

the aac doesn't sounds as loud, doesn't seem to have the oopmh, i used
-af volnorm=2,sub,channels=6 and faacopts object=2:tns:mpeg=4. I am
thinking maybe just stick with the DTS original ?

The problem I see when i use -oac copy, is when i run file <filename> it
says its a 2 channel file - but when I play it back it uses 5.1

Alex

--
"I think --tide turning --see, as I remember --I was raised in the desert, but tides kind of --it's easy to see a tide turn --did I say those words?"

	- George W. Bush
06/14/2006
Washington, DC