[MEncoder-users] I dream of converting this file to a real mp3

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 05:04:35 CET 2008

I have an odd file:

> file jeannie1.wav

jeannie1.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, MPEG Layer 3,
mono 11025 Hz

Running "mplayer jeannie1.wav" gives a weird squealing noise. This command:

mpg123 -s jeannie1.wav | sox -t sw -r 11025 - /tmp/temp.wav

works great. The reslting file is a "real" WAV file:

> file /tmp/temp.wav

/tmp/temp.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM,
16 bit, mono 11025 Hz

and mplayer plays it fine.

I want to convert jeannie1.wav to MP3. Of course, I can do the above
and then run lame on /tmp/temp.wav, but I sense I'm going in circles.

What's the correct way to convert jeannie1.wav to MP3 with a single
lame command, short of folding my arms and blinking?