[MEncoder-users] rip dvd to mkv, ogm, mp4 script

Martin Matusiak numerodix at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 13:49:59 CEST 2008

> I haven't been the least bit successful when I've tried that. When I do, an
> output file is created with a name like "[title].avi.partial", and then
> disappears without being replaced by a "[title].mp4" or anything else.
> "Remuxing" appears as the last entry in the terminal output with no values
> in the line. I even went as far as compiling and installing mp4creator
> because it was the only apparent deficiency in my tool set revealed by
> "undvd -C".

mp4creator indeed has to be installed for this to work. What happens
is the encoding as usual, the filename is [title].avi.partial. Then,
once it's complete it gets renamed to [title].avi. In most cases
that's it, but if you you're using a different container like mp4,
there's another remuxing phase. As you say, "Remuxing" appears and the
rest of the line is blank because undvd doesn't know how to measure
progress in this case. But remuxing typically is very quick, and once
it's done you get either [done] or [failed] at the end of the line. If
it failed then you should be able to find the reason in
logs/[title].remuxlog. The log file shows each command that was run
and then its output, so you could even try them by hand if you wanted
to.