[MEncoder-users] Mencoder usage on the Grid

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Fri May 9 19:02:01 CEST 2008

On Friday 09 May 2008 15:07, Jens Buysse wrote:

> We want to use mencoder for this purpose: splitting, transcoding and
> merging back together. The problem we encounter is that we do not
> find a standalone version of the mencoder to send to these nodes...
> We are not permitted to install software on these resources, though
> we can send our software to it to work as a standalone version.

What does standalone mean in this context? I don't know anything about
grid computing, but I can try guess what you mean with standalone.

The mencoder binary only needs the libraries it is linked against, you
can try trim this list down a bit at compile time, try to link them in
statically at compile time, or send the libraries to the nodes too, and
have LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable set accordingly.

You're unlikely to find any downloadable binaries of mencoder,
especially not up to date ones.