[MEncoder-users] Mencoder does not cut exactly

BUIRA Etienne etienne.buira.lists at free.fr
Thu May 1 11:48:59 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 02:35:43PM +0200, TAJTHY Tammms wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange problem. I have a mjpeg avi file and I'd like to cut a part
> from it and convert to mpeg4. I detected the frames by VirtualDub. I did the
> following:
>
> mencoder ..compression-arguments.. -ss 1.120 -endpos 1:23:00.000 -o cut.avi
> patch.avi;
>
> My problem is that the resulted file does not contain the exact frames.
> Depending on the -ss option it can be +/-1 frames different. At the end
> position can be +/- 4 frames different. If I add 3-5 ms to the -ss and
> -endpos options so the start become puntual, but the problem still appears
> at the end.

Hi.

The -ss and -endpos method is quite inacurrate (even if you got a very
good accuracy for using those IMHO...).

You'd better use -hr-edl-seek, after selecting good timestamps using
-edlout. From the manpage: See http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/edl.html
for details.

(Sorry if this message appears twice, I messed up again with my email @)