[MEncoder-users] wmv audio codecs support at linux 64 bit?system?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Mar 30 13:46:51 CEST 2008

Hello,
On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 12:47:48PM +0200, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 23:23:18 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>
> > You really should actually benchmark such statements
>
> Sorry, I didn't benchmark, I relied on hearsay. Articles such as this
> one and quite a few others:
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/5768

That is a very bad example, since there are no big architectural changes
between SPARC 32 and 64, and thus there is a good chance 32 bit mode is
even faster.
The situation with x86 is very different: in 32 bit mode you have only a
measly 8 registers, they are not fully general-purpose (e.g. no way
to directly use the 8 lowest bits of ebp), MMX and SSE are optional and
have only 8 registers each as well.
x86_64 extends these to 16 registers, each fully general purpose (makes
optimizing easier for the compiler), mandatory MMX and SSE (meaning the
compiler can make use of them whenever it wants, and system libraries
like glibc can and will use it as well), also with 16 registers.
IOW: SPARC 32 -> SPARC 64 is basically just a step in pointer size,
x86 -> x86_64 is a step to a more powerful architecture.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger