[MEncoder-users] wmv audio codecs support at linux 64 bit?system?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Mar 29 23:23:18 CET 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 10:12:06PM +0100, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> Hi RVM,
>
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 19:54:21 +0100, RVM wrote:
>
> > > yep, you should be able to use the 32 bit mplayer on the 64 bit os
> > Wouldn't that affect performance?
>
> I think you haven't understood the impact of AMD64/x86-64 extensions.
> There is a small set of architectural enhancements which were also
> introduced, which lead to small performance increasements. But apart
> from that, all you basically get is the extension of address space. (So
> for applications with a large memory footprint (we're speaking >4GB),
> that may indeed help.)
>
> The performance impact is minimal. But I indeed believe it's quite
> unfortunate having to revert to 32bit applications and libs on a 64bit
> OS.

You really should actually benchmark such statements, for H.264 the
difference in my tests (which may not be representative) were > 10% in
decoding speed. Probably mostly due to having twice as many registers
available in 64 bit mode.
Also, for this case I would suggest using a newer, SVN MPlayer version,
all variants of WMV and WMA1 and WMA2 should be supported without any
extra codecs.