[MEncoder-users] converting and subtitle questions

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 16:22:50 CET 2008

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:43:01 +0100
Erik Slagter <erik at slagter.name> wrote:

>   - at least with ffmpeg's mpeg4-2 implementation I never managed to
>   get an acceptable picture quality, using bit rates lower than a
>   comparable mpeg2 encoding (so what's the point then...)

There's inherently going to be generation loss, so if you're looking for
perfect you won't find it.  That said, I think it's pretty clear you
just haven't been using the right options.

>   - I've noticed that h264's artifacts are far worse on my computer
> monitors (various TFT) than on my television (CRT). Actually I have
> that  with mpeg4-2 as well.

It's all a question of the sharpness, saturation, and contrast settings
you use.  On my TV artifacts are certainly much more obvious than my or
any others' LCDs I've used...