[MEncoder-users] Ripping dvd to mp4

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 25 00:48:38 CET 2008

Erik Slagter wrote:
> Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:
>> and you say mencoder can't do that, right? it can't hardcode
>> subtitles? well, everytime i run h264enc, it proves you wrong about
>> this... if you don't specify the -vobsubout option of mencoder, by
>> default mencoder will hardcode the subtitles... period, been there,
>> done that, seen it all... over
>
> I'm saying that mencoder cannot hardcode subtitles coming from a DVD
> (mpeg program stream) while transcoding without the use of several
> steps involving temporary files holding the subtitles. Mplayer can
> actually do this, but it cannot transcode at the same time, which
> annoys me.
>
> dvd -> mencoder -> mp4, in one pass, I think that's impossible. My
> approach (though not the beauty itself) does it all in one pass.
>
> If I have some spare time the next days I will have another go at
> mencoder, if only to remember what exactly was the problem with
> mencoder and subtitling.
Mencoder can in fact burn in DVD subtitles.

Try these command line options: subopts=-sid $subtitleID -spuaa 4
-spugauss 0.5
or
subopts=-sid $subtitleID -spuaa 4 -spugauss 0.5 -forcedsubsonly

Depending on your needs. The subtitle ID has to match the numerical
subtitle ID on the DVD. Look up the other options in the manual to see
what they do.