[MEncoder-users] RM to FLV file bloat - huge upsize when converting

David Smith dcsmith2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 19:03:04 CEST 2008

I am using Mencoder command line in my application to automatically convert
RealMedia (.rm) files to Flash (.flv). How come the Flash file becomes so
huge after converting the RealMedia? The video and audio quality are just
fine but the file bloat is crazy, like 3-8x's the size of the original.

Even an 18Kb test file gets blown up to 94Kb.  I have attached the output
for that particular conversion, as it is very representative of the larger
files I'm working with.

This is my argument string:
-of lavf -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=56 -srate 22050 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=300:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3 -vf
scale=320:240
I am not trying to do anything funky here.  These are pretty standard
bitrates and file dimensions.  I do not have this trouble with any other
file formats.

This is a big problem because I have to pay for storage and bandwidth use,
so anything that converts UP is no good.  At a minimum I would be happy with
a theory as to why RM files do then when converted.  But a fix would
certainly make my day!  Thanks for any insight.  By the way, since this
needs to be an automated processes I cannot use any client converter
programs.