[MEncoder-users] Encodes for slow laptop

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 15 02:38:56 CEST 2008

Stella-Terra Clemens wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Diogo Franco <diogomfranco at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Em Sex, 2008-06-13 às 19:30 -0700, Stella-Terra Clemens escreveu:
>>
>>> Ok, I took your code and tried it out.  Unfortunately, it had the exact
>>>
>> same
>>
>>> results (every movie but the matrix has a 200 ms audio delay.)  Could
>>>
>> this
>>
>>> be a bug, or maybe a settings mismatch?  Maybe I simply need to mux every
>>> video with a 200 ms audio delay.  That doesn't seem right, though.  Any
>>> ideas?
>>> Stella
>>>
>> I get a similar problem with a few videos I've got. They're anime
>> releases, MKV with H.264 720p with AAC audio and they all have a 300ms
>> delay on the audio, so I have to press '-' three times. Remuxing doesn't
>> help, so I think this may be a mplayer issue. I've only seen this
>> happening with H.264 media on MKV containers.
>>
>> Note that just because I download HD it doesn't mean my machine is HD
>> capable :) mplayer drops between 20% to 40% of the frames but they're
>> watchable.

> Actually, in my case remuxing works perfectly.  I think I'm going to live
> with it the way it is.  I mean, if it pisses me off, I'll just use a very
> easy remux command and delete the original.  So I think that about closes it
> for me.
> Thanks so much to everyone for your help.
> Stella

Just my 2 cents in here, not trying to bash the .mkv format or anything,
but I have found a LOT of downloaded .mkv files have a delay in the
audio - usually on the order of 1 to 4 frames worth (42ms to 168ms) so
maybe it is a problem with that specific file container - might not be a
terrible idea to simply assume there is going to be a constant delay in
the audio and then fix it for the more unusual cases where there isn't.