[MEncoder-users] Encodes for slow laptop

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Mon Jun 9 02:11:36 CEST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Stella-Terra Clemens <stellaterraclemens at gmail.com>
>So my question is this: I've been shocked to realize that
>such a slow laptop has the ability to play movies.

You'd be amazed what a slow laptop will play,  I have a Thinkpad with a
P3/500 Mhz and it plays XviD encoded movies just fine encodede at a
bitrate of  1536.

However, the reason I use such a high bitrate is that I also have a
projector, so when I encode a movie I try to use a higher bitrate for
better quaility.  I could probably try different bitrates, but it's
easier for me to just use the same one and be done with it.  With drive
prices so cheap now, it's not a big deal to me to have to use more
space per file.

x264(which is an h.264 codec) uses way too much processing power for
slower systems.  XviD(which is an h.263 spec) is better for slower
systems.  You can also use DivX.

Good luck.