[MEncoder-users] 2 movies side by side

Sven Faerber svenfaerber at web.de
Wed Jan 30 21:54:43 CET 2008

Am Mittwoch 30 Januar 2008 schrieb Cristian Baltatescu:
> My question is this: can you stick two movies side by side, not one after
> the other? Meaning, each frame of the final movie will be made of 2 frames,
> side by side, from two separate movies.
> I found a similar question in the list archives, from 2005, but no
> concludent answer.
> If the answer is yes, how can that be done?
> If not, i'm thinking of an alternative solution. I could, i guess make
> png-s of the two movies, one for each frame, somehow stick them togheter,
> resulting in a wider png and then making a movie out of those final png's.

I had the same problem a few years ago and wrote a little program to do just
that.
I work with digital highspeed cameras and i had to come up with a way to
present two perspectives of the same crashtest in a single file.

I used mplayer to create folders of jpeg files and imagemagick to combine the
images and put our company logo into the result and then reencode the files
with mencoder. I put up a little kommander gui but the whole thing is not
very flexible as we always have the same resolution and so on for our videos.

But this is very possible and I could offer some assistance with putting up
the commands to merge the files.