[MEncoder-users] Video for YouTube, getting extremely low quality movies

Apple7777 applepro7777 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 14:24:07 CET 2008

Michael Rozdoba <mroz <at> ukgateway.net> writes:

> Isn't it the case that YouTube reencode everything they receive to
> 250kbps 320x240 using the flash6 adopted Sorensen mpeg4 asp codec?
>
> In which case doesn't it make sense to give them the best quality they
> will allow to be uploaded, to avoid garbage being mangled into worse
> garbage? Aiui, the only upload restrictions are 100MB size limit.

No, FLV1 movies under 350 Kbps will never be re-encoded.

> Hmm, I wonder if you're getting 448x336 from the fact the vids playback
> at about that resolution. If so you should be aware they only transcode
> them to 320x240, then upscale them on playback.

They do not re-encode them, you can read:
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic336882.html

> The only real way to get halfway acceptable results from YouTube is to
> ensure you only upload very compressible content, so that when they
> mangle it it's still viewable. If you look at the vids they offer up as
> to examples of quality, I think you'll find this to be the case.
>
> Another tip is to make best use of their 4:3 aspect. If you have 16:9
> content, either zoom it or if you have the time, pan & scan it.

The thing is I'm creating script that will encode uploaded movies automatically.
So, visitors of my website will upload their movies and I don't think they will
do such things as pan&scan.

I can make movies viewable, but what I really want is to get highest possible
quality which is:
448x336 resolution
15 fps
bitrate close to 350 Kbps (including sound)