[MEncoder-users] WMV problems

Steve St.Laurent stevest at centurytel.net
Wed Jan 16 21:44:15 CET 2008

Rich Felker <dalias <at> aerifal.cx> writes:

> If you want nice encoding to containers other than avi, use the ffmpeg
> program itself, not mencoder. The only reason to use mencoder should
> be its filters, which you're not using. Otherwise ffmpeg is much much
> better.
>
> Rich

ffmpeg is working great for most things.  One problem I've run into now though
is with videos with slides in them (wmv3?).  ffmpeg doesn't support them and
produces a segmentation fault.  The message is:

[wmv3 @ 0x2832a028]This decoder is not supposed to produce picture. Dont report
this as a bug!

So I'm back to using mencoder on those which works but the -ofps setting needs
to be set appropriately otherwise the timing isn't correct.  Any ideas?