[MEncoder-users] subtitles

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Sat Jan 12 22:25:26 CET 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 11:54:09PM -0700, Duane Evenson wrote:
> Alex Samad wrote:

[snip]

> > maybe another way to put this question is what container can I put audio/video
> > + subtitles. That might play in a Divx/Dvd player
> >

> Ah, can't help you there, maybe this will do?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats
> Note the subtitles column,
> I'm guessing that if mkv and ogm aren't supported by your new DVD
> player, maybe wmv is.

Thanks. wmv ....

Looks like  Matroksa is the way to go ?
or maybe ogm.

Wikipedia seems to imply mkv has gain some sort of advantage over ogm

Question i suppose how easy is it for windows media player to play these
things.  I have mplayer at home on my linux boxes, but when I put stuff on the
web (grandparents viewing video of the grandchildren), they have windows and
windows media player

There is some implication that x264 (seems to be my favoured codec for now),
has problems with the avi container (but the ffdshow filters work around it )

Thanks
Alex