[MEncoder-users] Running Mencoder in Windows

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 01:11:40 CET 2008

Scott Calhoun wrote:

> I have downloaded the Windows mencoder executable and am trying to run
> it on a group of jpeg files to produce an avi. The cmd that I am running
> from the Windows command prompt is:
>
> mencoder "mf://MidwestHighway\*.jpg" -mf fps=10 -o output.avi -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4
>
> which is a very simple example in the documentation. Everytime I run
> this cmd, mencoder dies with the:
>
> mencoder.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
> for the inconvenience.
>
> The last message dumped by the cmd prompt is:
>
> Video stream: -1.#IO kbits/s (-2147483648 B/s) size 0 bytes 0.000 sec
>
> I do not know whether this is an error or normal status.
>
> I have looked extensively on the web for this problem without success. I
> know it must be something simple. Can anyone clue me in?
>

> J Scott Calhoun

I am assuming that when you run MEncoder, your current directory contains
a directory called MidwestHighway, which contains the JPEGs.

I am not at a Windows machine, so i can't test, but I would enter the folder
where the images are located and then:

mencoder mf://*.jpg -mf fps=10 -o output.avi -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -ffourcc DIVX