[MEncoder-users] Newbie struggling with pullup

Laine Lee llee at lonestar.utsa.edu
Wed Feb 27 19:29:17 CET 2008

I'm still trying to convert my telecined video source (1280X720, 60 fps) to
16X9 DVD (720X480, 30000/1001). I'm assuming I've correctly identified the
source as telecined, because the frame rate is 60 fps (or thereabouts, if I
may be allowed to say so) and when I pause it and advance 1 frame at a time
as suggested in the mplayer documentation, I generally see the same frame
until the 3rd press of the "." key and then the same frame again until the
second press of the key, and so on.

However, quite frequently, and usually several times in succession, this
sequence gets interrupted, and I might only have to hit "." 2 times to get
to the next varying frame when I expected to press it 3 times.

Is this normal for telecined video, or is my source corrupt?

When I add "pullup,softskip" to my filter list when converting, I still
appear to get duplicate frames in the output much, much more frequently than
is reported during processing. I have had my best results so far by using
(typically) "pullup=8:8:8:8:-1:1", but I still get far too many unreported
dups.

What am I failing to do pullup-wise that might let me get just unique frames
in the output, if that's possible? Thanks.

--
Laine Lee