[MEncoder-users] MPlayer shows incorrect movie length

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 22 18:12:20 CET 2008

Hello All,

I am assuming that this is actually a MEncoder problem.

When I run my batch file that encodes to DVD-compliant MPEG-2
(with -ss 5:00 -endpos 30 added for testing), I get the following output:

C:\Downloads\Anime\Avatar\Avatar.The.Last.Airbender.S02>mplayer -frames 0 -ao n
ll -vo null -identify *.mpg  | find "ID_LENGTH"
ID_LENGTH=26.53
ID_LENGTH=26.49
ID_LENGTH=27.61
ID_LENGTH=8.19
ID_LENGTH=27.44
ID_LENGTH=25.91
ID_LENGTH=26.94
ID_LENGTH=27.86
ID_LENGTH=27.37
ID_LENGTH=27.08
ID_LENGTH=25.03

When I play these files in any other media player (MPC, VLC, WMP),
they all show length = 29, which I think is reasonable.

All players, including MPlayer, play the files to the end.
For example, in the case of the file that is allegedly 8.19 seconds long,
MPlayer displays the length 7 on the OSD, but it continues playing
and eventually displays position = 30s. However, you cannot seek
using the right-arrow. It quits, no doubt because it thinks that +10s
is past the end.

If I use a simpler command line

mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video
-ofps 24000/1001 -of mpeg -o test.mpg -ss 5:00 -endpos 30 *15.avi

the 8 seconds changes to the still-incorrect 25.03 seconds.

I am using svn 26061, but it is not a new problem. I think that it has
always shown the length of the movie as being a few seconds
shorter than it really is.