[MEncoder-users] Flashvideo for YouTube using mencoder

Ben jultus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 08:10:27 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 6:58 AM, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:

>  > keyint=148:
>
>  The larger the keyint, the better the quality (potentially).

Hmm.. isn't the keyframe the one frame saved in maximum quality?
For flashvideo I wouldn't go below 1 keyframe in 10 seconds,
I usually alter the keyframe amount to reach the 349 kbit/s total bandwidth..

>  > mv0
>
>  mv0 does HORRIBLE things to the video in my tests (with MPEG1/4). It
>  causes some very weird and terrible looking macroblock judder.

Thanks! I'll try without.
I did also use mv0_threshold=xxx with it once, didn't do much.

>  > predia=2:dia=2
>
>  You'll never get *lower* quality using a larger dia size.  If encoding
>  time isn't a problem, why not use a larger value?

OK, will do.

>  > :precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2
>
>  *cmp=2 works great on animation, but makes live action blocky. If you
>  aren't using strong deblocking on playback (which I imagine flash
>  won't), it looks terrible.
>
>  There are plenty more options in the DOCs that you could be trying.

Yes, I already did try a couple, but for some reason YouTube's player
doesn't  allow much messing around. A little weird value can make it
look like crap, which is strange, since it looks fine in other FLV players..

I've been trying out using
vqmax=20:
vme=4:
dark_mask=0.3:
cmp=3:
subcmp=3
sc_threshold=-100:
sc_factor=3:
preme=2:
psnr

but some seem unsupported by the current win32 compile.
Yes, I know, I should use latest CVS, maybe I will put one of my linux
servers to work and compile for me.

Thanks for the hints! Much appreciated.

JB