[MEncoder-users] No sound from USB webcam

Hatto von Hatzfeld hatto at salesianer.de
Thu Feb 21 22:23:15 CET 2008

Hello!

Could someone please take a look onto the sound recording parametes in
this command:

mencoder tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0:alsa:forceaudio:amode=0:adevice=hw.1,0
-fps 15 -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64:mode=3 -o testsnd.avi

For some reason it does not work; mencoder simply fails (with -nosound and
without the sound related parameters it works). What is wrong? Maybe I
should add the information that the soundstream vom hw:1,0 has a sampling
format of 16 Bits (Little Endian) and a sampling rate of 16000 Hz; but
how to do that? Adding ":audiorate=16000" alone does not resolve the
problem.

By the way: Sound recording (without video) works with the same hardware
this way: arecord -d 10 -f S16_LE -c 1 -r16000 -t wav -D hw:1,0 test.wav

(Sorry for repeating the question. Since I did not get any answer to my
last mail I now tried to improve the description of my problem.)

Thanks in advance,
Hatto