[MEncoder-users] Aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 conversion

bungasagadua bungasagadua at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 23:42:30 CET 2008

I have some dv videos both 4:3 and 16:9, I'd like to edit them in a 16:9 PAL
project.
I tried using ffmpeg but then I switched to mencoder which would do this job
better, I think so.

In order to convert the 4:3 videos I tried the following:

mencoder input.avi /
-vf crop=720:432:0:72,dsize=16/9,scale=720:576:1,expand=720:576 /
-oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=dvvideo:ilme:ildct:aspect=16/9 /
-o output.avi

By :1 in the scale, ilme and ildct I tell the program that the video is
interlaced.

Vlc reads the file well when I manually set the 16:9 proportion.
Now I have to test Cinelerra and Kdenlive, the editors which I prefer.

Meanwhile I'd like to have suggestion by experienced
mencoder users before starting to deal with the over 10 hours of 4:3 videos
which I have.

Thank you for helping.