[MEncoder-users] Subtitle transparency

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Tue Feb 12 09:45:17 CET 2008

Le quartidi 24 pluviôse, an CCXVI, RVM a écrit :
> Using -ass.
> Well mencoder doesn't support -ass yet, I think, but I took some patches from
> this thread in mplayer-dev-eng and now I got nice yellow subtitles with no
> transparency at all:

If one does not want to patch mplayer, it is also possible to use -ass in
mplayer, output the video to yuv4mpeg and the audio to PCM into pipes,
encode them separately, and mux them together¹.

Note that if your video has irregular timestamps, you will first need to use
mencoder to regularize them. That makes a lot of pipe.

I still entertain the idea of merging mencoder as an output driver of
mplayer, but my last attempt to do that failed miserably.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George

1 : if someone knows a tool to add an infinite buffer on a pipe chain to
avoid deadlock situations in such cases, I am very interested.