[MEncoder-users] pullup useless?

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 30 06:59:56 CET 2008

Phil Ehrens wrote:
> Laine Lee wrote:

>> I know a month has gone by, but I just thought I would suggest that you try
>> the only filter chain that has ever successfully accomplished pullup for me.
>> I'll grant you that I've not tried it with a variety of sources, but it
>> might be worth a try for yours.
>>
>> -vf framestep=2,filmdint=fast=0,softskip,harddup
>>

> I hope the message that people are getting by reading between
> the lines of this exchange is that deinterlacing strategy is
> source dependent. Unless people divulge the details of their
> source material, this sort of discussion will only ever reach
> a workable solution by accident.

I agree 100%. The above command line would do a pretty horrible number
on any kind of source I can think of. Here's a more common pullup for
NTSC DVDs:

-fps 30000/1001 -vf pullup,softskip,yadif,harddup -ofps 24000/1001

(the yadif is in there to catch the occassional interlaced frame that
might creep through from bad edit points on some titles)