[MEncoder-users] Recording a video from a ivtv tv-card (Hauppauge PVR 150)

saedelaere at arcor.de saedelaere at arcor.de
Tue Aug 12 09:35:48 CEST 2008

----- Original Nachricht ----
Von:     RC <cooleyr at gmail.com>
An:      MEncoder usage discussions <mencoder-users at mplayerhq.hu>
Datum:   11.08.2008 22:41
Betreff: Re: [MEncoder-users] Recording a video from a ivtv tv-card
 (Hauppauge PVR 150)

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:49:02 +0200
> Saedelaere <saedelaere at arcor.de> wrote:
>
> > Now I got one question. Is mencoder using a software encoder to recode
> > the video or is it using only the build in hardware mpeg encoder.
>
> MEncoder is not reencoding the video or audio, because you told it to
> "copy" both.  It is, however, demuxing and remuxing the MPEG stream.
>
> > The problem is when recording a video via mencoder the process has an
> > approximate cpu load of 4%.
>
> Encoding video would use MUCH more CPU power than that.

Ok thanks for that info!

> > Using a simple cat command (cat /de/video0 > test.mpeg) causes a cpu
> > load of less than 1%.
>
> The relevant question being, why don't you use that method, instead of
> mencoder?  Perhaps most importantly, using mencoder introduces the
> potential for desync, and really provides no advantages.

I think mencoder has got two big advantages.
First it provides the endpos option. Which is very usefull.
Second later the user should be able to recode the video while recording. Ok this could be done in a second step. Hmm
I will have to think about that problem a little more.
Oh if somebody is interested in the program I was talking about take look here:
http://home.arcor.de/saedelaere/index_eng.html

Thanks for your help

Regards
Christian