[MEncoder-users] mEncoder newbie

Rob Langley Rob.Langley at wile.biz
Wed Apr 23 16:19:14 CEST 2008

Hi

I am a newbie with regards to the windows version of mEncoder, but am enthusiastic amateur with GUI based products on the Mac such as Final Cut Express and iMovie.

I would like to get my hands dirty using mEncode to perform some basic editing tasks on some mp4 source files and finally saving them as an AVI.  The reason for this, my footage comes from an external source and I need to pass the results on to another 3rd party in an AVI format.

After going through HYPERLINK "http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/index.html"http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/index.html where sections 13 and 14 talk about mencoder and also referring to HYPERLINK "http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/index.html"http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/index.html I have tried many things with varying results.

In order to gain a clearer understanding I want to breakdown my tasks in to small steps, perfecting each one before adding more. So step1 was to take an mp4 file in this case shot on a mobile phone, (test footage) and create a new mp4 clip from 1sec to 6 sec.  I have used the same test footage in iMovie and produce some satisfactory results.

In the example below the resulting 5 second mp4 shows noise (horizontal coloured lines) for the first few seconds then a very pixilated few seconds of the actual footage.  I thought if I used –ovc copy it does just that copies each frame

I also note when encoding the message ‘Skipping Frame’ many many times is this normal?

mencoder -ss 1 -endpos 5 raw/clip2.mp4 -oac pcm -ovc copy -o cuts/clip2.mp4

Writing header...

ODML: Aspect information not (yet?) available or unspecified, not writing vprp header.

Writing header...

ODML: Aspect information not (yet?) available or unspecified, not writing vprp header.

Pos:   0.1s      1f ( 0%)  0.00fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.000 [0:0]

Skipping frame!

Pos:   0.2s      3f ( 0%)  0.00fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.007 [0:0]

Skipping frame!

Pos:   0.2s      4f ( 0%)  0.00fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.010 [0:0]

mplayer cuts/clip2.mp4

Starting playback...

[mpeg4 @ 00D4FB70]looks like this file was encoded with (divx4/(old)xvid/opendivx) -> forcing low_delay flag

VDec: vo config request - 640 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)

VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)

Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.

VO: [directx] 640x480 => 640x480 Planar YV12

[mpeg4 @ 00D4FB70]Error at MB: 4

[mpeg4 @ 00D4FB70]concealing 1200 DC, 1200 AC, 1200 MV errors

[mpeg4 @ 00D4FB70]2. marker bit missing in 3. esc

[mpeg4 @ 00D4FB70]Error at MB: 12

I have also tried doing the same process without the –ss switch and in this case I don’t get as much noise but the footage is still very pixilated?

Thanks in Advance for any help or guidance

Rob

Checked by AVG.