[MEncoder-users] Ripping dvd to mp4

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 7 16:11:39 CEST 2008

Erik Slagter wrote:
>> Nonsense. I use mencoder to encode to mp4 containers all the time,
>> and without AV synch issues. I just don't use b-frames.
>
> That's the whole point. For any (output-)format other than avi and
> mpeg (program stream/transport stream?) mencoder uses lavf, which in
> itself handles b-frames well, but mencoder in combination with lavf
> doesn't.
>
> So, output to mp4 with b-frames, no way.
>
> B-frames are there for a reason... There is no industry conspiracy
> that makes you believe you cannot live without b-frames even though
> they only cost you money. Anyway, b-frames are a requirement for me
> and thus I cannot use mencoder to output mp4, that's all there is to it.
I don't understand your reasoning here. There are devices on the market
that use mp4 and can't handle b-frames at all (ipod, psp). Certainly
nothing *requires* b-frames. My mp4s look fine, and are of reasonable
size, without them. It's not a "no way" situation. Every other solution
I have seen that involves separating the video and audio streams and
remuxing into the mp4 container, all with the *only* "benefit" being
that the stream can contain b-frames, results in a/v desynch, which is
far more bothersome to me than the worrying thought that what I am
watching doesn't have any b-frames in it. It's not essential in the way
that you seem to have made it out to be.

Having said that, have a look at Handbrake (
http://handbrake.fr/?article=download ). It is a ffmpeg-based product
that has a command-line component that will produce proper mp4 files
with b-frames, and can burn in subtitles. The downside is that you lose
mencoder's wonderful filters and scaling, so the resulting image looks a
bit "soft" to my eyes. But heck, it's a b-frame fest in there, and
that's what matters, right?