[MEncoder-users] avi sync questions

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto please.no.spam.here at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 07:29:23 CEST 2008

>  >
>  > Also,
>  > 1)Why are you using custom matrices? Where did you get these from?
>
>  Somewhere off of doom9, I believe. However, the sync problem exists
>  independent of the matrices. As an aside, though, are the custom matrices
>  worth the trouble?
I don't know, but I suspect that they may harm hardware compatibility.
In any event, I wouldn't mess with them. See my point below.
>  > 4) 712 is not a multiple of 16. It is generally wise to choose
>  > dimensions that are multiple of 16.

>  > 6) Who recommended you "keyframe_boost=15" ?
>
>  It was likely from either doom9 or archives of this mailing list. I did
>  most of my research in those places.
I prefer to not mess with options I do not understand. I prefer to
only set options that have a clear and almost unquestionable benefit,
such as the mbd=2 option when you are encoding to libavcodec's MPEG-4
part 2.
Specially in your situation, where your bitrate is already high enough
that conservative encoding options will give an *excellent* picture
quality. Using "ricer" encoding options is not worth the risk (they
may actually harm your encode, or slow it down)

And about your sync issues, I don't know. Sorry.
--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds