[MEncoder-users] Ripping dvd to mp4

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Mon Apr 7 00:20:27 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:09:50AM -0500, James Hastings-Trew wrote:
> Erik Slagter wrote:
> > James Hastings-Trew wrote:
> >> Erik Slagter wrote:

[snip]

> Having said that, I am coming around to the idea that h.264 is not the
> be-all and end-all of video encoding that some people think it is. I've
> been using mpeg4 for HD encodes (720p) because the artifacts are not as
> annoying as those from h.264. To my eyes, mpeg4 seems "truer" to the

interesting I have come to the same conclusion after spending a few
weeks encoding family video, in multiple bitrate and some various other
options on and off.

I must say though I am no expert of the options switchs available and
have relied upon the mailing list and the web site to try and get the
best encoding options