[MEncoder-users] encoding for SonyEriccson w810i

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Wed Sep 26 18:31:41 CEST 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 03:10:59PM -0500, David Durham, Jr. wrote:
> Hi all, this is my first post to the list.  I've been using mplayer
> for awhile, and am very happy with it.  I recently started using
> mencoder and have one question to start (probably a lot more to
> follow).  I'm trying to encode for a phone with the following
> settings:
>
> Format: MPEG4
> V. Codec: MP4
> A. Codec: AAC
> Res.: 176x144
> Max V. kbps: 96
> Max v. Fps: 12.5/15
> Stereo/Mono : Mono
> A. Sample Rate: 12 000
> Max A. Kbps:64
> H(Horizontal) V(vertical): V
>
> which I found here:
> http://developer.sonyericsson.com/thread.jspa?messageID=80929&#80929,
>
> 1) Is anyone on the list successfully using mencoder to create video
> for the w810i?  If so, can you post some relevant arguments?
>
> 2)  I ran into the issue of not being able to encode aac at 12000 Hz
> and Mono.  Can anyone post those options if they know them?

Encoding at 12000Hz/Mono do work, although mplayer will tell you when
playing the encoded stream that audio is 24000Hz/Stereo.
That's an issue of the faad decoder.
You can check yourself encoding to the avi container and then
playing the resulting avi with the option -v.
Look carefully at all the output.

Giacomo