[MEncoder-users] tv tuner card suggestions?

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it
Thu Sep 6 13:02:14 CEST 2007

Jody Gugelhupf wrote:

>hi ppl :)
>first of all thx for the many replies and the resulting, informative discussion about digital tv
>etc. :)'btw i'm currently located in the netherlands, after reading the posts i think i will not
>go for a usb solution, as these seem to be without any hardware encoding on the card, so would use
>up my pc's cpu when i do recordings the way i understand, so i think i would go for the analogue
>wintv-pvr 500, but i'm still also thinkin about digital cards, the way i understand, if i have a
>digital tv card with one tuner and dvb-t or dvb-c, i can record 2 stations at the same time if
>they are in the same stream, is this true? and i was wondering, as far as i know there are 4
>channels in one stream in dvb-t, couldn't i then record all 4 stations with one digital tuner card
>at the same time? what is mencoder supporting? would that work? anybody any epxriences with this?
>any suggestions for good digital tv cards with 2 or more tuners?
>thx in advance ppl :0
>jody :D

first of all DON'T TOP POST!
second, you are confusing things: there are multi-tuner cards, but
not always you can record from all (or more than 1) of them at
the same time: you have to read carefully the card's features to make sure.
Example: Lifeview Duo and Trio have 2 analog and 1 or 2 digital tuners;
they can record from one analog and one digital source at the same time,
but not from 2 digital or 2 analog together.

When recording digital TV (mpegts) you can record more than one program
at the same time, but not with mencoder: mplayer can dump the whole TS
(including many programs if you want) on a file, while dvbstream can also
split the individual programs in single files