[MEncoder-users] tv tuner card suggestions?

Jeff Clagg snacky at ikaruga.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 20:38:06 CEST 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:03:38AM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 11:19:42 -0500
> Jeff Clagg <snacky at ikaruga.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I don't believe there is now any place in America that has analog TV
> > broadcasts but no digital.
>
> RC raises his hand...
>
> Technically there is one digital channel here, but it's complete crap
> local chanel... Home Shopping and Paid Programming 18 hours a day.
>
> The rest are 60 miles away, and, well, UHF doesn't travel through
> mountains very well.  VHF holds up much better.
>
> > It's an FCC requirement.
>
> Not really until 2009.

2009 is the analog cutoff date, but stations are required to simulcast
in digital right now in order to keep their licenses. Which is how it's
been for several years now. On the other side of the balance, the FCC
allocated an additional frequency for every broadcaster out there in
order to make simulcasting possible.