[MEncoder-users] Quicktime compatible - with ability to seek to next and previous frame quickly

Nicolas Hesler nicolas.hesler at sheridanc.on.ca
Tue Oct 30 20:07:30 CET 2007

Is there a way to encode Quicktime compatible mp4's with the ability to
seek backward [quickly] one frame at a time?

Using a command line, like the following, I can create Quicktime
compatible files, but I'm not able to seek quickly backward one frame at
a time through the file.  It does work but it's rather slow. Seeking one
frame at a time forward quickly works fine.

If you look at the HD Apple Trailers (like
http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/stepup2thestreets/ for
example), you are able to seek backward and forward one frame at a time
(using the arrow keys) and it's very responsive.  I'd like to achieve
that same responsiveness in seeking backward one frame at a time using
mencoder.

Any input or suggestions?

mencoder input.avi -sws 9 -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4 -vf
scale=720:540,harddup -ovc x264 -x264encopts
bitrate=4000:vbv_maxrate=5500:vbv_bufsize=3500:me=umh:subq=6:trellis=1:global_header:pass=1
-oac faac -faacopts mpeg=4:object=2:br=160:raw -channels 2 -srate 48000
-o output.mp4