[MEncoder-users] mpeg-4 - no video on Pioneer dvd player

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 27 21:13:36 CEST 2007

ameidus wrote:
> Some other ideas?
> Should I post more details on the quicktime file I'm trying to convert,
> or on the file which is OK on my dvd player?
>
> Anyway, thanks for the comments.

There is some information here:

http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/dv585.php?player=DV-585A&question=DivX

Upshot is that files cannot be larger than 2Gb, and cannot have pixel
resolutions higher than 720 x 576. They also mention troubles with
b-frames in the video stream but the command line I suggested to you
won't make use of b-frames (b-frame troubles in memory/cpu limited
set-top devices is a common problem).

Get the file that works and try the following command line in mplayer:

mplayer FILETHATWORKS.avi -identify -frames 0

This should spit out information on the ffourcc, codecs used, pixel
dimensions, framerate, etc.Make your new file as much like that you can,
and see if you can find the caramilk secret.