[MEncoder-users] Default FOURCC for MPEG-2?

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 23:18:05 CEST 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:08:30 -0400
Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the default FOURCC for mpeg-2 content?

mpg2.  Simply reading the output of MPlayer playing a file should tell
you that.

> I just tried now (setting FOURCC) to mp2v and now it plays with VLC
> but it won't  with mplayer :(

Either add mp2v to codecs.conf or add to the command-line:  -vc
+ffmpeg12

I don't see why you care, though.  You really shouldn't distribute AVI
files with MPEG-1/2 video, as practically nobody will be able to play
it.  MPEG-1/2 in an mpeg container will also have less overhead.

> This leaves me with a crippled index. I can't forward the video

-forceidx.  You can use it with oac/ovc copy to create a new file with
an index.

> and I have sync problems too.  I tried -vf harddup so it won't skip
> frames but  still no sucess.  Any help will be apprciated.

An entirely different issue, and you've provided no info that would
allow anyone to help you.