[MEncoder-users] conversion for quicktime 7 - docs

Kovacs Baldvin baldvin at cs.elte.hu
Sun Oct 14 15:25:22 CEST 2007

> > when QuickTime loaded the file, it didn't show the first frame, rather
> > it showed a black screen, and one needed to click Play in order the
> > picture to appear.
>
> I'd say that "big prolem" is a non-issue for 99.9%+ of people.

Not necessarily small for those trying to create presentations
(scientific or similar). It really matters for those who try to create a
presentation homepage for a project and know that they have just seconds
of the netsurfer's attention.

This doesn't matter though, I think it isn't too helpful trying to
engage in arguments about the size of the problem --- is is certainly a
big issue for me, and I'll accept your opinion about the other half of
the world. :)

> > mencoder original.avi \
> >          -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -vf-add harddup -nosound \
> >          -of rawvideo -o video-track.m4v
> >
> > MP4Box -add video-track.m4v -fps 10 result.mp4
> >
> > I would suggest to include this in the official mencoder man page and
> > web documentation,
>
> You're using MPEG-4 instead of h.264, and MP4Box instead of mp4creator.
> Which of the two makes the difference?

I failed to use MP4Box for h.264 (it gave an error), and I'm not sure if
I tried mp4creator with mpeg4. I am happy that you are interested in
this question, and I will investigate as soon as I can (not at home
now). I'll write about the experiments tomorrow.

Best regards,
Baldvin