[MEncoder-users] Quick recode of Hauppauge HVR 1600 output to valid MPEG2

Kennet Belenky kbelenky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 19:49:13 CEST 2007

I recently got a Hauppauge HVR 1600, running on Windows. Its output is a
slightly malformed MPEG2 program stream. A quick sample is available at
http://students.washington.edu/kbelenky/Test.mpg. Intervideo plays the files
just fine, but my Mvix 760HD chokes on them (as does FFMpeg half the time).

I'm trying to use mencoder to do a quick fix on the stream without
re-encoding the video or audio (if possible). Unfortunately I'm not familiar
with all the options, and there aren't yet any good tutorials for doing
specifically this:

Here's the best set of options I've come up with so far, but it's still
imperfect:
mencoder Test.mpg -of mpeg -oac copy -ovc copy -mpegopts format=mpeg2:tsaf
-o Testout.mpg

This output has a few problems:
Mencoder creates a lot of warnings about duplicate frames, and the output
video is significantly smaller than the input (I'm not complaining, just
worried)
The video doesn't play on my Mvix, but does on Intervideo
The audio is out of sync with the video in Intervideo
At the start of the video, subtitles pop up randomly.

Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of problems? Failing that,
is there a repository where all the command-line options and mpegopts are
documented?

Thanks,
Kennet Belenky