[MEncoder-users] Encoding to DVD: to deinterlace or not?

Michael Rozdoba mroz at ukgateway.net
Tue Oct 9 01:11:54 CEST 2007

James Hastings-Trew wrote:

> I'm of the opinion that interlaced video should go the way of the dodo
> bird - it has outlived its welcome.

Perhaps in relation to deciding what source format to adopt, I'd agree,
but if we're talking about archival formats for existing material surely
that makes it a slightly different question?

Personally I prefer whatever involves the least damage to the
information content in the data. That said, in reality one needs to take
into account playback. In that respect, I'd be swayed a little by the
likely display device. If this might well be CRT I'd be even more
inclined to keep it interlaced. That said, even if all display devices
are progressive, unless they have lousy handling of interlaced material
I'd still probably keep it interlaced unless other factors pushed me to
deinterlace.

One route I wouldn't take is to deinterlace xx fps interlaced content
with fast motion to xx fps progressive, unless I deliberately want to
introduce blurring.

In the past when I've had to deinterlace because my encoding format
didn't support interlacing, for live events especially sporting or
concerts, I've deinterlaced to a doubled framerate.

--
Michael Rozdoba