[MEncoder-users] add permanent subtitles using mencoder?

girgit girgit girgit.girgit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 19:41:44 CET 2007

Hello,

I am quite new to all this, so please pardon any stupid questions.

I am trying to learn burn a CDs that my player can play. I am encoding
the original video I have with the following command. I copied this
from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html

mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=xvcd -vf
scale=352:288,harddup \
-srate 44100 -af lavcresample=44100 -lavcopts \
vcodec=mpeg1video:keyint=15:vrc_buf_size=327:vrc_minrate=1152:vbitrate=1152:vrc_maxrate=1152:acodec=mp2:abitrate=224
\
-ofps 25 -endpos 68:00 -o output.mpg input.mpg

Now, I also have subtitles with this file in .srt format, which I can
view when using mplayer.

My question is: is there a way to burn the subtitles into the
output.mpg? Searching on the net I came across some articles that
describe how to do this using ffdshow and TMPGEnc. Searching
mplayer/mencoder documentation I could only find a way to extract
subtitles into a vobsub file
(http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-extractsub.html), but
nothing about burning them into the output file.

Am I way off in understanding how all this works? I confess I don't
know much about this at all.  Appreciate any help or pointers.

Best,

- girgit