[MEncoder-users] Status Line Incongruities

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 19 04:42:05 CET 2007

James Hastings-Trew wrote:
> ||This means that the video is encoding at a rate of 6.36 frames per
> second. However, Mencoder's status line reports that it has processed
> roughly 188000 frames, at a rate of 16 frames per second. This is
> roughly 2.5 times the number of frames in the video, and roughly 2.5
> times the actual frame rate it is encoding at.
Heh, well, I just realized from the numbers on mencoder's command line
that it is counting the frames, and hence the reported frames per
second, as if the input video was 60 fps. The source is from a hard
telecined film rate DVD - so maybe it's counting the fields before the
pullup filter recovers the progressive frames? A guess.. but the numbers
work out... 24 x 2.5 = 60. The status line is still wrong, but this
might be a clue as to why it is wrong.