[MEncoder-users] Automatic Deinterlace - Is that Possible?

Robert Sandie sandieman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 13:22:00 CET 2007

Hi Mencoder peepz,

I wanted to share with everyone how we do things here at viddler (probably
very similar to other video sites) and was hoping to gain some insight into
how we could make this process better.

Current Workflow:
1. Any new vieo is encoded with mencoder & on2 @ source dimensions, and
400kbps.
2. We do post processing flvtool to add extra metadata

Problem:
Some videos are uploaded and need to be run through a deinterlace filter
(roughly 5%).

Is there anyway to encode in such a way that would solve deinterlace issues?

Proposed Solutions:
1. Build a post-process detection script that would detect the "lines" in
the video. If it finds that it needs to be deinterlaced it would reconvert.
2. Encode all sources into an intermediary standard file-format that would
get rid of any use for a deinterlace filter.

It would be really helpful to hear what other solutions are out there and
how we could alternatively go about this.

Thanks!

Rob
--
Robert Sandie