[MEncoder-users] Copy h.264 video into avi

aslan at gmx.at aslan at gmx.at
Fri May 11 17:02:53 CEST 2007

Hello.

I have a (actually many) transport stream file that contain h.264 video and ac3 audio.
It is hard to work with these files as there is hardly any software
for it - and the software that exists isn't mature.

I figured my best option to work (that is: edit) with such .ts files
is to convert them to avi. There are many ways to do this, but none I
found yet is really good.
In essence it is possible to grab the original stream data and put it
into an avi container, however this is a lengthy and error-prone
process. I ended up not being able to get the ac3 back in properly,
maybe due to the reason that the format changes between stereo and
5.1 within the same stream.

So I thought that mencoder might help me here.
With a command like
mencoder "source.ts" -oac copy -ovc copy -of avi -ffourcc h264 -o "dest.avi"
it would just copy the streams.

The problem is that the resolution is left out and left at 0x0.
It would even leave out the fourcc, but as you see I managed to find
out about the -ffourcc option
Is there a way to tell mencoder to set those?

I could ofcourse just re-encode the video (finally the latest
x264 builds manage to decode the video properly and without too many
glitches, but I had to use an unofficual build of emncoder)
but that takes ages for a full movie and reduces the quality.

Hope you have tips for me!

Morke