[MEncoder-users] Experiences of video encoding

Mon Mar 26 13:20:17 CEST 2007

Hi Nicolas George!

 On 2007.03.26 at 13:42:10 +0200, Nicolas George wrote next:

> Over the last weeks, I have led an experiment of video encoding, encoding a
> lot of times the same samples with various parameters and measuring the
> resulting quality and bitrate. The results of the first phase of this
> experiment are there:
>
> http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/george/info/video_quality/
>
> As I am planning the second phase, I would like to get comments and advice.

The second phase  would be filling these empty lists with data? Or at
least some of them should be filled already? I don't see any reference,
so I don't really get it. Or maybe there is data, but this page isn't
compatible with firefox?

Besides empty list, I also don't see any images - but according to
"We have detected that you are using a modern browser. As a result, we
have switched to a more advanced method to display the images. Thus, you
can zoom and toggle individual curves; we advise you to use the “this
frame, open in new window” feature to examine the curves more closely."
there should be some?

I wonder why have you used vhq=4 xvid option - it's slower than vhq=1,
but are you really sure it's better? I don't really remember why, but
somehow I never liked it and used only vhq=1.

PS congrats on picking Amélie for this test - in pre-x264 era, I never
managed to encode this (wonderful) dvd while keeping the picture at
perfect level - it required insane bitrates at small quantizer values.
Wonder if x264 can do this.

--

Vladimir