[MEncoder-users] Video and Audio async

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Wed Mar 21 17:58:11 CET 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: rcooley at spamcop.net

>This is very bad advice.
>Your command-line completely throws away the MP3 audio, and you'll end
up with audio directly copied from the source file anyhow.

I screwed up.  You're right, that was wrong, it should have been:

mencoder input.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc -copy -mc 0 -ofps 25 -o
input-mp3-copy.avi

mencoder input-mp3-copy.avi -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
pass=1:turbo -mc 0 -ofps 25 -o output.avi

mencoder input-mp3-copy.avi -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
pass=2:bitrate=300 -mc 0 -ofps 25 -o output.avi

I forgot to change the filename for the 2nd and 3rd passes.  This way,
you are doing the mp3lame re-encode one the first pass, then using that
output file to do the second and third passes.  Sorry about that.  I
had a feeling I had done that one wrong.  Good catch.

As for doing the third pass with the audio, I was doing that, but I
have had some issues with the output file having the wrong aspect.  On
some machines the aspect is played fine and on others it's changed to
1.50:1 for both 1.78:1 and 1.33:1.  Not a big deal on a wide screen,
just an extra set of slightly lighter shaded black bars.  But on a
fuill screen, it crops the file.  Does it on lots of different versions
of mencoder/mplayer for some reason.  Generally, when doing a movie,
the audio is always smaller with mp3lame, but on shorter episodes like
say Spongebob, it's not.