[MEncoder-users] recomend mencoder options to digitalize analog video

rastos+mplayer at gmail.com rastos+mplayer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:40:41 CET 2007

I have some recordings on Hi8 from which I can get S-Video.
Using a TV card and mencoder I'd like to digitalize them.
For such tasks usually the goal is to find a compromise
between resulting file size, CPU power and quality.
My goal is different: I want "lossless" capture.

Assuming that I don't care about size of resulting files,
I have enough CPU power and I want best quality (in terms
of resolution, details, "image stability") - what options
would you recommend?

For example fps defaults to 25, width x height defaults
to 640x480. Does it make sense to go beyond that?
What about outfmt, mjpeg, decimation, quality?
What filters would you recommend?
Does it make sense to do "-ovc copy -oac copy" and then
play with 2-pass encodings?
--
	bye
		rastos