[MEncoder-users] Problem with EDL

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Jun 24 18:25:32 CEST 2007

Fluxid wrote:

>> I also tried using EDL while encoding, but here is other problem: I
>> want to skip first 6 mnutes, then encode 2 minutes, and skip all
>> the rest. But with -hr-edl-seek enabled it runs forward to realise
>> thata at the end of skipped block is nothing more to encode (last
>> value of edl file is larger than length of movie). This skipping
>> takes about half of hour (because it decodes all skipped
>> frames)....

If you are trying to cut out a single segment from the middle of the
file, why do you not use -ss and -endpos rather than doing complicated
things with EDLs?

> Sorry for multiposting...

I'm not sure why people so often apologize for this; it's not even
really a minor offense, in any forum I've ever encountered.

The fact that your reply (and for that matter your original message)
contained lines something like 130 characters long, vs. the accepted
standard maximum of 80 if not fewer, is considerably more annoying. The
fact of replying to your own message, so long as you actually have
something more to say and there is no immediately better place to say
it, is not bothersome at all.

That said - I don't know much about EDL, but:

> Here is one line from console:
>
> 	EDL SKIP: Start: 794.00  End: 5440.00   Current: V: 949.45  A: 0.00
>
> Movie length is 5406 seconds.
> (I think it should test is the end of skipped block is larger than
> end of movie. If it is, it should stop decoding frames of skipped
> block and continue with another file/stop encoding)

Unfortunately, the only completely reliable way to determine the length
of a file - either in frames or in seconds - is to parse the file
through from beginning to end. There are some containers which have the
length information stored in file metadata, but not all do.

Without knowing how long the file is, MEncoder obviously cannot perform
the test you describe.

--
       The Wanderer may be stumbling over his own feet again - he's been
doing that a lot lately

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.