[MEncoder-users] How to encode a DVD

James Tripp eliared at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 02:05:15 CEST 2007

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here at gmail.com> wrote:
>"soft telecine", which basically means that we are tagging the file to be
>telecined but the telecine will be done by the player: duplicated
>frames will not be stored in the file. Am I correct?

yes

>And there are parts of that page that are even wrong. This for example:
>"If your movie has 2.35:1 aspect (most recent action movies), you will
>have to add black borders  or crop"

You certainly do
I'll link this again:

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic174200.html

>For example, if I want to encode a movie of 576x304 with 704x480
>resolution and DAR 4/3,

Why on earth would you encode a widescreen film with a 4/3 dar?
576x304 ->  720x460,  16/9  dar

>And I have a doubt: in the table, the line for SVCD only mentions the
>FPS of 30000/1001. Does it mean that soft telecine is not allowed?

Pulldown works fine with svcd.
If you're goinf to svcd the 4/3 dar starts making sense but when did a dvd target change to svcd??