[MEncoder-users] SUB: Could not determine file format

Florian Erfurth floh-erfurth at arcor.de
Tue Jun 5 01:02:23 CEST 2007

Hi Phil, thank you for your quick response.

Phil Oleynik wrote:

> Florian Erfurth wrote:
>> [snip]
>> I did try following command:
>> mencoder -sws 9 -vf scale=480:256,harddup -sub /home/floh/temp/movie.sub
>> -vf scale=480:256 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
>> bitrate=768:vhq=1:max_bframes=0:cartoon -nosound
>> /home/floh/temp/movie.avi -o /home/floh/temp/output.avi
>>
>> Unfortunatelly the subtitle from movie.sub doesn't appears in output.avi.
>> If I look the output of mencoder, I see such error-message:
>>
>> SUB: Could not determine file format
>> Cannot load subtitles: /home/floh/temp/movie.sub
>> <<<
> probably you lack .idx file with timings, languages, etc.
Oh, there is a .idx-file. But it still doesn't works (tried with the
command, see in last post from me). How should I handle .sub & .idx in
order to put into avi-movie? How should a mencoder+arguments look like? I
thought my tried command is right, isn't it?
Is it sufficient, if .avi, .sub and .idx files does have all the same
filename (like movie.avi, movie.sub, movie.idx)? Maybe I'm missing somewhat
(e.g. libraries?), huh?

cu Floh