[MEncoder-users] Convert VOB subtitles to SRT format

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Mon Jul 30 18:10:19 CEST 2007

Le duodi 12 thermidor, an CCXV, Grozdan Nikolov a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I know this is not mencoder related but I'm only subscribed to this list....

You could subscribe to another list. Although I do not really know which
one.

> have a subtitle here (subtitle.sub and subtitle.idx files - 1 language) and I
> want to convert it to the SRT format. How do I do it? I read at
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/subosd.html that it is possible but
> neither the man page nor the link above is very clear on how to do it. Can
> someone give me a command line example?

Converting bitmap subtitles into text requires two steps: first, you need to
display the subtitles as an image; then you need to recognize the contents
of the images as text.

For the first step, you could do it with mplayer/mencoder, by rendering the
subtitles on a black video. You can also use vobsub2pgm from <URL:
http://subtitleripper.sourceforge.net/ >, or dvdunauthor.

For the second step, you could do it with your eyes and your keyboard, that
is the most reliable solution. Other solutions involve OCR. Subtitleripper
comes with a script that calls gocr (and beware, you must not rely on the
in-memory database in this case, since gocr is invoked once for each
subtitle), but you may want to try Tesseract instead. Then you have to
correct the result.