[MEncoder-users] 3 passes encoding failures.

DEF shaker_doc at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 08:11:12 CET 2007

--- The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:

> Depends what you mean.
>
> frameno (that is, -ovc frameno, and the resulting
> frameno.avi) is
> deprecated, is not recommended, and will not
> necessarily work correctly.
> The version of three-pass encoding which goes '1:
> -ovc frameno, 2:
> -*opts pass=1, 3: *opts pass=2' is deprecated and is
> not supposed to be
> used.
>
> However, there is another technique which is also
> referred to as
> three-pass encoding. In it, you run the first encode
> using -lavcopts
> pass=1, and then run the second (and third, fourth,
> fifth, as many as
> you want) pass using -lavcopts pass=3. This
> technique is not deprecated,
> and indeed can be a very good idea for achieving
> maximum quality per
> unit bitrate if you're willing to invest enough time
> and CPU power into
> the process.
>
> --
>        The Wanderer
>
> Warning: Simply because I argue an issue does not
> mean I agree with any
> side of it.
>
> Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

Thank you very much for all the explanations.

So if we look at Samuel's commnands below, his problem
is surely due to the 'three pass' you are saying is
not supposed to be used.
I had thought so, and was really wandering why
Guillaume had asked him to upload file samples.

mencoder %(Input)s -oac mp3lame -lameopts
br=96:cbr:vol=6 -ovc frameno
-o %(Output)s

mencoder Input -sws 2 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=629:vpass=1 -vf %(Segment)s
-o %(Output)s'

'mencoder %(Input)s -sws 2 -oac copy -ovc lavc
-lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=629:vpass=2 -vf %(Segment)s
-o %(Output)s'